Tuesday, 3 March 2015

Only Men Need To Be Loved… Women Need To Be Wanted

– Gemma Teller Morrow, a fictional character from one of my favourite TV shows and probably played by one of the most beautiful and inspirational actresses I’ve ever watched, Katey Sagel.
I started watching Sons of Anarchy in late 2013, I caught a couple of episodes from season two, and got so into it that I started watching from the beginning and sloughed through the seasons to season 5 easily in a week or less. No… seriously.
I sat with my eyes fixated on the Netflix screen for so long I felt like I’d become a member of the crew and for some reason Gemma Teller Morrow just spoke to me. Everything she said wasn’t words of a naive woman who had loved and lost, they were from a woman with experience and stories, who wasn’t taking any shit and was respected like she was the heart and soul of the club.
I loved her character, she inspired me as a young woman to want that kind of relationship with my boyfriend and friends. Enough respect that I feel like people are grateful to have me around, who adore me for my personality and understanding.
I wanted ultimately my future to be that of a woman who invites close friends around for tea, a huge dining table with bowls of food being passed around and my friends and friends of my boyfriend to be around. A happy family, dining together, having a drink? It just seemed like a beautiful way to live and I want it more than anything.
Now what today’s post is about? Is one of my favourite quotes from the entire season, Season 5 Episode 13, Gemma Teller says “Love? Only men need to be loved sweetheart. Women need to be wanted”
Gemma Teller Morrow Quote
I keep seeing it pop up, or hearing it over and over. Naturally, you tend to think about quotes like this, you question whether that really is a true fact of life, or an opinion from one woman, even though Katey Sagal’s husband Kurt Sutter was the one who wrote it!
So, what do I think? I think it IS just an opinion, however I personally feel loved when I’m wanted. Do I need to be loved? I think so. Love is a difficult subject to talk about, since it’s different for everyone and no one can really define and put a stamp on what love is, but I think to be loved is to feel wanted first, I don’t think that means that a woman can’t want or feel love, but I think we want to feel wanted more than we do loved.
It’s a bit contradicting! I can feel myself question which one I want more. I don’t need to be bought flowers and gifts every week to feel like I’m living my life to the fullest in a happy relationship, but I do want to be there for the person I love and for them to want me by his side and trust me with his life. I think love comes from that.
People have different perceptions on how they want to be loved, people have different ways of life. So disagreement is bound to happen, for me, this quote is strong in my heart and I love it. Just as I love Katey Sagal for portraying such a strong woman and just as much as I love Kurt Sutter, for being the most incredible script writer I have seen in a very long time. Looking forward to The Bastard Executioner!
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment